Protecting Yourself from Identity Theft
Home Security Protecting Yourself from Identity Theft
Identity theft is one of the fastest growing crimes in America. Here are a few things you can do to protect yourself :
- Never give out personal information.
- Shred or otherwise destroy unused credit card offers and old statements.
- Store personal information and statements in a safe place.
- Protect PINs and passwords.
- Promptly remove incoming mail.
- Pay attention to billing cycles. Contact appropriate entity if you don't get a bill or statement.
- Review checking and credit card statements immediately and contact regarding any questionable transactions.
- If you think you have been a victim call the Federal Trade Commission's Identity Theft Hotline at 1-877-ID-THEFT (438-4338).
- Do not e-mail account numbers for security reasons.
- For additional assistance contact us at (815) 493-2631.